New TV Studios Complex Muscat, Oman
Muscat – Sultanat Oman 2006 - 2013
New construction of a television and radio studio
Room and building acoustics planning
Public Authority For Radio & TV
ATKINS WS Atkins International & Co
Tawoos Contracting LLC as subcontractor of the Ministry for Information (PART)
ADA scope of services:
Room and building acoustics planning, construction supervision
- Definition of the wall and ceiling structures as far as building and architectural acoustics are concerned
- Definition of the maximum permissible noise level in all spaces
- Determination of the optimum reverberation times and the necessary wall structures for avoiding echoes and for even sound distribution
- Computer simulation with EASE especially in the studios and in the hall, the auditorium
- Reviewing the execution planning of ATKINS Inc.
- Execution supervision
In Muscat, the capital of Oman, a new studio complex was to be built consisting of a large TV studio, three medium-sized TV studios, four TV news studios and extensive rooms for radio productions and associated ancillary rooms. The room and building acoustics were planned for the entire complex. The stocky nature of the studio rooms required high demands of the sound insulation of the construction. The ventilation system has also been acoustically planned so that the limits for the permissible noise are not exceeded and the sound insulation of the construction is not impaired by crosstalk through the ventilation. The locally available building materials caused some difficulties. So all the walls were made of lightweight concrete hollow bricks. Due to the low mass of these walls, additional measures had to be taken to meet sound insulation. Therefore, the construction was extended to include materials available in Europe for the high-quality studio rooms, in cooperation with Kaefer Construction GmbH. A lot of attention had to be paid to the implemented studio doors, which led to the partial replacement of locally manufactured doors.